The chill of winter is something we dread, not just for the cold winds and the snow, but also for the fear of our heating unit packing up on a particularly frosty evening. Suddenly, you walk into a cold home and realize your furnace isn’t working. Panic ensues. What next? Whether it’s an unresponsive starter switch, a faulty sensor, a malfunctioning thermostat or a worn blower, this comprehensive guide will walk through what to do when your heat stops functioning. Not just that, you’ll also understand why relying on professional help can save time, money and unnecessary stress.
Your home’s comfort is our priority and we stand ready to ensure your heat is restored promptly.
What are the Common Signs of a Furnace Emergency?
It’s important to know the signs that may demonstrate an emergency with your furnace. Below are some of the common issues you might encounter:
A Damaged Starter Switch
If your furnace isn’t igniting properly, the problem could lie with a damaged starter switch. The switch is responsible for igniting the gas in the furnace to produce heat. If it’s compromised, it can cause serious issues, including total heat loss.
A faulty starter switch can display distinct signs, such as the furnace failing to kick in even though your thermostat is set to a high temperature. You might also hear unusual noises such as clicking sounds.
To troubleshoot, you could try resetting your system or checking for a blown fuse. However, dealing with a compromised starter switch isn’t a task for untrained hands. To ensure you don’t exacerbate the situation, it’s highly recommended to entrust this task to a professional furnace repair service.
A Failing Sensor
A sensor in the furnace measures the heat within the system and tells the furnace when to start or stop. When this sensor fails, your furnace may completely shut down, resulting in your home being much colder than usual, or, at worst, not heated at all.
Furthermore, this failure could also result in erratic temperature fluctuations where your furnace might overshoot the desired temperature or not heat enough, thus creating an uncomfortable living environment. In such cases, it’s strongly recommended to seek immediate help from a professional repair service.
Troubleshooting a broken sensor can be complex, and attempting to fix it on your own could potentially cause further damage to the system, leading to more expensive repairs or even a full furnace replacement. Your furnace needs to function efficiently, especially during the colder months, to maintain a comfortable and safe environment in your home.
A Worn Thermostat
If you have adjusted the temperature upwards and there’s no notable difference, it may be a sign of a worn thermostat. This would mean your thermostat isn’t correctly signalling your furnace to produce more heat.
Erratic temperature shifts in your home are another symptom that your thermostat needs attention. This can be characterized by sudden hot or cold spikes in different areas of the house, even if the thermostat is set at a steady temperature.
Troubles with the thermostat could be due to several reasons, from internal wiring issues to software problems. If calibration and reset fail to solve the issue, it could indicate a serious underlying malfunction. In such a case, professional expertise in heating and furnace repair would become necessary.
A Malfunctioning Blower
A blower’s job is to circulate hot air through your home once the furnace produces it. When it fails to function correctly, you may find uneven heat distribution or no heat at all in some areas of your home.
Various signs could indicate a malfunctioning blower such as unusual noises, cycling on and off more frequently, or a drastic increase in your energy bills. It’s also possible for the blower to stop working altogether.
This is a clear sign of a furnace emergency. In such a scenario, it would be prudent to quickly start troubleshooting the issue, taking into consideration safety measures, or better yet, call a professional repair service.
What Should Homeowners Do If Their Heat Stops Working?
Experiencing a furnace malfunction during chilly weather can be distressing. Here’s what you need to do if your heat suddenly stops working in an emergency situation:
- Check the Thermostat: Ensure that the thermostat setting is on ‘Heat’ mode. Sometimes, it can be as simple as someone accidentally changing the thermostat setting. If these settings seem to be accurate and operational but the heating issue persists, signs may point toward a more serious problem with your thermostat which warrants professional attention.
- Inspect the Circuit Breaker: If the furnace isn’t working at all, it’s worthwhile to check the circuit breaker. If tripped, flip it back to ‘On’. Remember, a continually tripping breaker can indicate a more serious issue, prompting the need for professional intervention.
- Examine the Furnace Switch: The furnace switch may have accidentally been switched off. This switch often looks like a regular light switch and is usually mounted on the side of the furnace or a nearby wall. Ensure to check this switch before moving on to more serious troubleshooting steps as restoring your furnace problem could be as simple as flipping a switch.
If after a thorough inspection of these common areas, the furnace still doesn’t work, it’s time to call a professional repair service. Dealing with a malfunctioning furnace isn’t merely an inconvenience, it can also be a potential safety hazard. A professional service provider is equipped with the requisite skill and expertise to handle such situations.
What are the Benefits of Hiring a Professional Repair Service?
No matter the degree of your furnace problem, it’s crucial to recognize that proper repair is not a do-it-yourself project. There’s a good reason we recommend professional furnace repair, rather than taking matters into your hands. So, why hire a professional? There are several significant benefits:
- Technical expertise: Trained professionals have the skills and understanding to correctly diagnose and repair any furnace problem. They have comprehensive knowledge of numerous makes and models, and the training to address a wide variety of malfunctions.
- Safety: Handling a malfunctioning furnace can be dangerous if you’re not trained for it. Professionals follow certain safety protocols to ensure both your safety and theirs.
- Cost-effective: While assuming the cost of professional services may seem high, in the long run, it’s often more cost-efficient. An expert can identify and solve complex issues, preventing hefty repair costs down the line.
- Focus on longevity: Professionals not only fix immediate issues but also look for underlying problems that might cause future damage. This attention to detail helps to prolong the lifespan of your furnace.
- Guaranteed service: Professional repair services often come with warranties, providing free follow-up service if the problem persists or resurfaces.
Now, the question is, who to call for furnace repair? Look no further. Our highly experienced team can handle your heating needs promptly and professionally. Serving Elmira and the Waterloo Region with pride, we have built a reputation for reliable and efficient service. When your furnace needs attention, be it an emergency repair or adding value through maintenance and improvement, we’re your go-to solution.
Why is CJ Brubacher the Best Repair Service for Emergency Situations?
In the middle of an emergency, having a reliable and trustworthy repair service is essential. We pride ourselves as the preferred choice for repair for the residents of Elmira and Waterloo Region. Not convinced? Let’s delve into why we are the ideal service for all your furnace related emergencies.
- Experienced Technicians: Our technicians are highly skilled and experienced. They are equipped to fix any issue your furnace might be going through, ensuring that your heat is restored in no time.
- Rapid Response: We understand that when your heat stops working, it is a crisis that requires immediate attention. Our team is committed to providing quick and effective solutions to get your heat back on track.
- Customer Satisfaction: Customer satisfaction is paramount to us. We strive to provide top-notch service, always putting your needs first. Our team is there for you, ensuring all your concerns are fully addressed.
- Up-to-Date Equipment: We ensure that our team is equipped with the latest tools and technology to carry out repairs. This allows us to efficiently diagnose and correct any furnace issues you might have.
Choosing the right repair service is crucial, especially during an emergency. It requires a team that not only has the technical know-how but also values your comfort and peace of mind. This is what we strive to provide at CJ Brubacher.
When faced with a failing furnace and need someone to restore your heating, it’s critical that you engage a professional in furnace repair. Doing so assures you of dealing only with experts who are adequately qualified and highly experienced in handling all types of furnace issues. The benefits are evident: optimal performance of your furnace, longer lifespan for your furnace and peace of mind knowing you’re in capable hands.
At CJ Brubacher, serving Elmira and Waterloo Region, we hold these values dear and strive to ensure we are always the team you can call when you’re in need. So, when in need of a repair, think no further. Contact us to learn more about our services, and let us be the solution to your furnace problems.